Girls Get Active have developed 8 important principles to engage and connect with teenage girls, to support them to embrace sport and physical activity into their lives.
Sports organisations can use these 8 Principles for Success to check and challenge existing programmes to enhance appeal and relevance for the target audience. They can also be used to innovate and develop completely new initiatives through a teenage girl lens.
Before delving into these principles, we invite you to:
1. Determine your target
2. Step into a teenage girl’s world
3. What does success look like?
Pinpoint the behaviour you wish to change by asking:
• What is your target doing now and how do they feel about sport and physical activity?
• How would you like them to behave and feel instead?
1. No judgement
Take pressure off performance and give freedom simply to play.
2. Invoke excitement
Bring a sense of adventure and discovery.
3. Clear emotional reward
Reframe achievement as ‘moments of pride’, not winning.
4. Open eyes to what's there
Redefine sport as more than traditional, competitive sport.
5. Build into existing habits
Tap into existing behaviours in other spheres.
6. Give girls a voice & choice
Allow girls choice and control to feel empowered.
7. Champion what’s in it for them
Make it much more than just about health.
8. Expand image of what ‘sporty’ looks like
Create truly relatable role models who inspire.